Sunday, January 20, 2008

I'm thinking it's time we get together again.

Personally, I don't think this strike is going to wind down as quickly as everybody else would like it to, because right now... the writers have all the fiscal leverage.

They might not have the PR leverage, since the DGA took a deal that is still being analyzed...

...but with the Oscars coming, TV viewing down and Wall Street starting to realize that greed is the driving force for locking the writers out of their fair share, not smart business decisions...

...pressure is mounting.

At the same time, I think we - animation writers - script writers and board writers - have a unique and singular opportunity to discuss what WE want, and how this strike and the sacrifices that were made for the gains that are coming (regardless of size) - can be used to change our situations for the better.

Regardless of how.

In the next few weeks I'll be figuring out the where's and the whens of the next get together. It'll probably be Burbank - that's the center of existence for all three studios. But aside from drinking and commiserating, I'd like to put a little bit of a "think tank" on it as well...

Anybody got a better suggestion for a place to get together besides Gordon Biersch?

I'm thinking:
Castaways
The Outside Area at French 75 Bistro
The Blue Room (but they don't take credit cards. Bleh)

I'm open to suggestions about where, and what this one should be about.

But I'm also about to start watching football, and the Packers are one game away from a Superbowl trip, so my Sunday priorities are my Sunday priorities.

Stay linked. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say the Blue Room because they don't take credit cards! That way nobody gets stuck with the bill at the end of the evening.